HUMANITIES TEAM REVIEW
(10th March – 21st March 2014)
What are the ingredients that make up a “sparkling classroom” in the Humanities at Heathfield Community School?
- A menu of strategies / resources / ideas created for each key ingredient of a lesson.
- This menu to be created collaboratively, using current thinking about pedagogy and our own ideas.
- Each area is encouraged to “take a risk” in their lesson planning
- Student voice and observers a crucial element and encouraged to input to whole process.
- Key findings to be presented as a “teachmeet” style presentation. The key ingredients to be agreed and a bank of resources created to help plan “sparkling classrooms”…..
AREAS OF PLANNING TO EXPOLRE:
1. Starters / Learning Objectives / Progress during a lesson / Plenaries
2. Questioning skills to promote learning
3. Extended writing / Literacy
4. Effective group work
GENERAL KEY DOCUMENTS:
The following will help give an overview of the planning process:
1. Sparking Classrooms- Roy Blatchford
2. “Teaching in the Zone” white paper – Angela Lui
3. Planning Lessons – Learning Spy – http://www.learningspy.co.uk/featured/planning-lessons-lessons-ive-learned-about-how-to-plan/
4. This much I know about…lesson planning – John Tomsett – http://johntomsett.com/2012/06/29/this-much-i-know-about-lesson-planning/
5. OFSTED framework (January) for Outstanding Teaching and Learning